Tuesday, April 21

Following in the steps of Greatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreat Grandpa

He also didn't keep a blog very well.

I survived meditation and earthquakes. Worked on a very small farm north of Rome with an Italian woman named Lucia, but only briefly because...

it was suddenly time to go to Austria. Julia wrote to say she would be there. I wrote to say I would be there. We ate many EASTER SNACKS! The German term for it is way better. Easter snacks means mostly meat, which before being consumed is put into baskets, which are brought to the little church and blessed by the priest, who makes strangely jolly jokes about Jesus coming to eat meat with everybody. Or something like that, it was in German so maybe nothing like that.

I am in Vienna with Maria now and this is also wonderful

What I mean about old Henry Samson, who sailed upon the Mayflower, is not that he was inept at future information technologies or even that he ultimately facilitated the bringing into the world of someone called Ebenezer and someone else called Dorcas, but that he was a pilgrim. And I will like to be one too. But I guess a Puritan great-times-nine-or-something grandfather wouldn't exactly endorse a great-times-nine-or-something granddaughter who is desiring to embark on one of the most Catholic of all pilgrimages, the Camino de Santiago. Especially if she's a the daughter of a Jew. Hrm.
Yes! This small southern puritan jew is going to walk the Camino. In fact, I leave Vienna for France in just a few hours, and I hope that by Friday I will already be walking up and over those Pyrenees Mountains I keep bumping into. I will try to update the blog, really and truly, because I know there really won't be time now for emails and gchats and all that. I am excited about this last part of my journey. I am even going to buy a real nice walking stick, mmhmmmm.....

No comments: