Tuesday, September 2

Sleeping Beside the Underground

I am safe in London, which is gray. Grey, they would say here, though it looks the same. Owen tells me that last month was recorded as the grayest August in London since records started being kept. That is, not the coldest August, and not the rainiest, but literally the one with the least amount of sunlight. I always picture Londoners holding umbrellas, because I am used to hearing of rain in London. Maybe they should start making umbrellas with UV lights installed in them, like the one I put above Septimus's tank so his little turtle body would get enough Vitamin D. Picture all the Londoners walking around with auras of fluorescent blue coming from under their umbrellas.

Not much has happened here yet, but then I've only been here about nineteen hours. One of those was spent being detained at customs in Heathrow airport. I committed the crime of having vague plans. Airport customs personnel do not like vague plans. They went through my bags and asked for itineraries that didn't exist. It finally ended when I showed them on the internet confirmation of my return ticket home, and proved that I had enough money in my bank account to fund the trip. After that, they were quite lovely to me. They gave me tea from a tea vending machine (I kid you not) and told me Obama should have chosen Hilary Clinton for his running mate. I told them no, and they wished me a safe journey. Thanks, mates.

On the plane from Houston, I sat in the very middle of the very last row. Thankfully, the British guy next to me, named Ray, got up frequently. At one point we spent an hour or so standing in the food prep area in the back, chatting with the american flight attendants. There was one particularly spunky one named Antoinette. She said things that made the other attendants blush. After asking me questions about college, Antoinette turned to Ray and asked him if he would prefer an American Intellectual or a British Tart. As if we were that evening's choices for dessert. I went back to my seat, fed some music into my headphones, and took some sleeps.

8 comments:

scrappy said...

Hi Kim,
. . . but you didn't say if that middle seat in the very back of the plane reclined, or if it was a repeat of our Israel flight.
Glad to know you arrived safe and sound. I hope by now you've had your crumpet and have planned the location for your blood pie. Eat some McVittes with your tea, which I hope will NOT from a vending machine. Be safe. Love you.

Unknown said...

Hi Kim-
I had no doubts you would make it there safe, but it is nice to hear. The vending machine tea sounds a little scary however, I am sure you handled it well. I will be sending you my address by email so I can receive all those postcards you won't know what to do with. Be safe, keep those stories coming, they go great with my morning coffee. Much love-

Jane said...

Hi Kim,

It was great seeing you while you were home. Craig and I enjoyed the evening so much. Glad you flight was somewhat interesting but mostly uneventful. Customs is so interesting..but glad they were civil and you gave them a British stiff upper lip.

Have fun.

Jane

Juwells said...

You're there!! No fair! I wish I could be with you right now! Im glad you got there safe! I am working on making a plan to come over in Dec. after I graduate! Im hoping for success! I love you and cant wait to hear about all the stories! With any luck...Ill be there soon and we can venture out together! =)

Have fun!

Unknown said...

I know it is early in your journey, but have you encountered any tight trees yet? I could dig a small blurb on the trees of those isle things your on. No technical stuff, just important things like personality, shape, color, you know. Have you ran into any British dinosaurs on the street? I'm thinking, like, a fat old brontosaurus sporting a monocle and a top hat. The brontosaurus seems like the most British of dinosaurs. Take care! hope you are well.

Jessica said...

kim, we're finally on the same side of the atlantic! i hope you said hi to houston from me when you popped through there. i really miss it. wait, no, it's sunny and i'm staring at the mediterranean sea in good company. i'll miss it another day. i can't wait to see you in less than 2 weeks! i don't know if you have a plan of when you're leaving but you should stay the week i get there and meet some of my good friends. i'm worried about the grayness. keep working on your artificial sunshine idea. i'll help you package it so we can sell it for funds to travel on. baci!

scrappy said...

scrappy needs some updates :)

Ditto said...

New York and I miss you. What the architectural take on English couches? Write if you get work. Miss you bunches.